Open Call for Writers
In the context of Saint George’s Day, The Day of Books and Roses, Jiwar celebrates a month devoted to writing hosting 4 writers and developing an special program around writing and literature.
All genders: fiction, non fiction, poetry, prose, theatre, …
All languages. The communication language during the residency will be English. That doesn’t mean it has to be the writing language of the selected writers.
4 writers selected.
1 full grant residency (hosting, not meals, not travel) for one writer from an emerging country.
Saint George is celebrated by various Christian churches and by several nations, kingdoms, countries and cities of which Saint George is the patron saint. However, in Catalonia this celebration has a special meaning. La Diada de Sant Jordi, also known as “el dia de la Rosa” (The Day of the Rose) or “el dia del Llibre” (The Day of the Book), is an important Catalan celebration held on 23rd April. The main event is the exchange of gifts between sweethearts, loved ones and colleagues.
Roses (traditionally given to lovers) have been associated with this day since the Middle Ages, but the giving of books is a more recent tradition originating in 1923, when a bookseller decided to promote the festivitiy as a way of commemorating the almost simultaneous deaths of Miguel de Cervantes and William Shakespeare on 23th of April 1616.
Furthermore, the city of Barcelona has now been granted the tittle of the “City of literature” (UNESCO creative cities network) and Jiwar loves to honour that once a year by bringing together writers from different imaginaries and cultures.
The program includes the following proposed components:
– A public reading. Writers are invited to read samples of their work.
– Meetings with writers and publishers from Barcelona.
– A visit to the main Catalan Institutions.
– Writing jam session in Jiwar open to the public.
– If interested, writers are invited to share their work with the students of the High Schools of our neighbourhood.
APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE:
- Applications can be in FRENCH, SPANISH, CATALAN AND ENGLISH.
- a short CV
- a sample of recent work representative of the writing of the candidate work. If it is not in English it would be best to have at least one sample translated into English (or Spanish or French).
- a short description of the project that the candidate intends to develop during their residence
- languages spoken by the candidate
3 of the selected artists participate in the cost of the project. One writer from an emergent country will be granted with a full stipend residency (travel and meals not included) .
The fees are 1.150€ or 1.250€/month depending of the studio room size.
– Our support and coordination and Jiwar member’s fee.
– Comfortable Housing in Jiwar Residency. 4 individual study rooms and a lot of shared spaces: gallery, library, garden, well fitted kitchen and many facilities such as wi-fi, regular and thorough cleaning etc.
– Information on cultural events in Barcelona depending on the interests of the resident
– Contact with local artists and artistic networks in Barcelona
15th February 2017
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org